The Audubon Society of Kalamazoo (ASK) has been a part of the Kalamazoo community since 1945, when Kalamazoo area bird watchers decided to organize. For many years it was the only all-volunteer nature organization in the Kalamazoo area. Today we are an active club with members from all birding skill levels, although many are at the beginner to intermediate levels.
You are invited to join ASK. By becoming a member, you will be joining over 300 birders in Southwest Michigan who share an interest in bird watching, nature, and the environment. Your membership not only entitles you to participate in the activities listed below, but also makes those activities possible.
Please understand that while we are a local chapter of Michigan Audubon, membership in Michigan or National Audubon does not automatically make you a member of ASK. All three organizations share the common mission of bird conservation, but we are our own entity.
What we do:
- Offer informative monthly bird or nature programs on the 4th Monday of September-April, except December, at 7:30 PM at the People’s Church, 1758 North 10th Street in Kalamazoo.
- Lead over 20 birding field trips to local and regional natural areas (September-May).
- Publish an interesting and informative monthly newsletter (September-June).
- Organize a Christmas Bird Count and a Kalamazoo County Spring Migration Count.
- Host a potluck and bird walk at a specially chosen site for the Annual Meeting in May.
- Purchase and distribute over 40 of the National Audubon Society’s Audubon Adventures packets to area schools each year.
- Give over 50 free classroom bird presentations annually to area schools.
- Give bird and butterfly presentations to adult groups.
- Maintain a lending library of several hundred bird-related books, videos, and CDs.
- Maintain a local Rare Bird Alert network.
- Monitor bluebird trails and help establish and maintain Purple Martin colonies.
- Actively work on environmental issues, particularly on the local level.
- Provide deserving local, national, and international organizations with donations to help protect birds and their habitats.